An opportunity for students in the Sioux Falls area.
From: Duke, Edward F. Edward.Duke@sdsmt.edu
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 8:59 AM
To: Drew Alton; Durkin, Thomas V.; Gregg Johnson; Jordan, Brennan T; Kristie Maher; Lukkes, Nathan; Malcolm, Amanda; Peggy Norris; Troy Kilpatrick; Turman, Paul; Wood, Christine
Subject: FW: Student Position Announcement (CITT) (at EROS Data Center)
From: Saleh, Raad [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 8:53 AM
To: Rice, Jim; Duke, Edward F.
Subject: Fwd: Student Position Announcement (CITT)
Jim and Ed, FYI re open position for may be a student. Please let me know if I can be any assistance.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anastasia Quanbeck <email@example.com:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:15 AM
Subject: Student Position Announcement (CITT)
To: GS-N-EDC Federal Employees <email@example.com:firstname.lastname@example.org>
This announcement for a student internship position in CITT opened today and closes Wednesday April 29, 2015. This is a year-round position, not just summer so it should say Not-to-Exceed 5/31/16 vice 9/30/15.
Link to announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/401346800
Job Title: Student Trainee (Information Technology) PTI, GS-2299-05/07 (DB)
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Geological Survey
Job Announcement Number: ATL-2015-0689
$31,944.00 to $51,437.00 / Per Year
Monday, April 20, 2015 to Wednesday, April 29, 2015
SERIES & GRADE:
Pathways Internship Appointment Not-to-Exceed 09/30/15 - Part-time 20 hours a week.
1 vacancy - Sioux Falls, SD
WHO MAY APPLY:
All qualified U.S. citizens who meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program which is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school.
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency http://www.usgs.gov/aboutusgs/
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
• Salary: $13.68 per hour (Step 01) to $17.78 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
• The full performance level of this position will be set at the grade level at which you are selected.
• This vacancy is limited to the first 25 applications received and will close at midnight Eastern Time on the day this application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight Eastern Time of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated in this announcement due to the applicant limit being reached. Supporting documents will not be accepted once the vacancy announcement closes.
• In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
• you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
• enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved home school; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum.
• students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis.
• You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
• Not Required
• Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
• Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
• The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
• More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
As a Student Trainee (Information Technology) with the Office of Earth Resource Observation and Science (EROS) Center some of your duties will include:
-Installs new and revised commercial off-the shelf software packages.
-Performs basic configuration of microcomputers to interface with existing LAN and mainframe computers.
-Provides assistance to staff in using various computer equipment and software.
-Performs routine updates of various microcomputer and mainframe applications. Serves as a backup support for the database and server administrator.
-Codes or modifies software modular or scripts.
The U.S. Geological Survey has determined that the duties of this position are not suitable for telework only during emergency situations with supervisor approval.
For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.
All applicants who meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements will be referred to the selecting official in veterans’ preference order.
For information on basic qualifications, which includes information on whether you may substitute education for specialized experience, please click on the following:
GS-5 through GS-7 (or equivalent):
Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
Applicants must meet one of the following to qualify for the GS-05 level:
**Successful completion of a full 4 year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree in computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
**OR responsible IT experience in all of the competencies listed above.
Applicants must meet one of the following to qualify for the GS-07 level:
**One year of successfully completed graduate level education (18 semester hours, 27 quarter hours or the equivalent) in computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
**OR Super Academic Achievement based on undergraduate study. (CLICK HEREhttp://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/quals/saa.html FOR MORE INFORMATION ON SUPERIOR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT)
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
• Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
• If this position requires specific educational coursework to qualify, or you are qualifying based in whole or part on education, you are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) by the closing date of this advertisement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, mailed, document uploaded or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
• Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
• This is a temporary internship to complete project work that’s temporary in nature. The appointment is not-to-exceed 09/30/2015 and can be extended without further competition based on the need of the organization for the work to continue and provided the individual continues to meet the eligibility requirements described below.
• Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
• If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts and/or letter from the school stating you are enrolled in a degree/certificate program on at least a half time basis in good standing and your expected graduation date.
• A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis of Rating:
All applicants who meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements will be referred to the selecting official in veterans’ preference order.
To preview questions please click herehttps://jobs.mgsapps.monster.com/usgs/vacancy/previewVacancyQuestions.hms?orgId=1&jnum=86915.
You can review our benefits at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/index.html
Temporary appointees expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days will be eligible to enroll in a Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB)http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/ plan. Individuals eligible under this rule receive the full government contribution to their premiums regardless of work schedule and will also be eligible to participate in the Flexible Spending Accountshttps://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp and Federal Long Term Care Insurance Programhttp://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/ltc.html. Temporary appointees are not covered by the Federal Employee Retirement System and are ineligible for Federal life, dental, or vision insurance.
DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verifyhttp://www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Why Is It Great To Work For The USGS?
Embark on an exciting future! From the peaks of the highest mountains to the depths of the deepest seas, the U.S. Geological Survey has career opportunities that make a difference in both the lives of others and in the environment. Would you like to join the more than 10,000 scientists, technicians, and support staff of the USGS who are working in more than 400 locations throughout the United States? Apply today! As the Nation's largest water, earth, and biological science and civilian mapping agency, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) collects, monitors, analyzes, and provides scientific understanding about natural resource conditions, issues, and problems. The diversity of our scientific expertise enables us to carry out large-scale, multi-disciplinary investigations and provide impartial, timely, and relevant scientific information to resource managers, planners, and other customers related to: the health of our ecosystems and environment; natural hazards that threaten us; natural resources we rely on, and; the impact of climate and land-use changes. For more information about the USGS please visit http://www.usgs.gov/.
Are you a current student looking for a temporary position in the Federal workforce? If you answered "yes" to this question, then this is the job for you!
Students who successfully complete the internship program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment. Eligibility requirements for conversion: must be a U.S. Citizen; complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program (*may waive up to a total of 320 hours under specific conditions); successfully complete your degree or certificate requirements from a qualifying institution; meet the qualification requirements for the position to which you will be converted; meet agency-specific requirements as outlined in the Participant's Agreement; and must have performed successfully in your position as documented through performance evaluations. *NOTE: To learn more about the conditions under which a portion of the work experience hours may be waived, visit http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/studentinterns.html.
Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position. USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
HOW TO APPLY:
• Applications (resume and application questions) for this vacancy must be received on-line via USAJOBS BEFORE midnight Eastern Time (Washington, D.C. time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete online resume, you will not be considered for this position. Requests for extensions will not be granted. Most libraries, employment offices, and all USGS personnel offices can provide access to the Internet. If applying online poses a hardship for you, you must speak to someone in the Servicing Human Resources Office listed on this announcement PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE for assistance.
• Instructions for Applying Online for this Vacancy Announcement: 1)Click the blue "Apply Online" button. 2)If you are not a registered USAJOBS user, please create a new accounthttps://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Account and follow the instructions to complete your application process. If you are a registered user, login to access your existing USAJOBS profile. 3)As a registered user, select a stored resume and select one or more of your stored documents to attach to your application. 4)Check the "Certification" box and click the "Apply for this position now!" button located at the bottom of the screen. 5)Address the eligibility questions as well as the questionnaire containing questions and/or task statements that address the knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies for this vacancy. 6)Submit required documents using one of the available methods listed below. 7) If you experience technical difficulties during the online application process, please contact the USAJOBS helpdeskhttps://my.usajobs.gov/Home/ContactUs.
• You are required to provide proof of student enrollment such as your current unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or an acceptance letter for future enrollment by the closing date of the advertisement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. If you are currently enrolled, but in your last semester/quarter of completing your degree/certificate requirements, you must show proof of continued education such as an acceptance letter or you will be disqualified. This proof may be faxed, mailed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
• If you are claiming veterans' preference you must submit a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, by the closing date of this announcement. If you are currently on active military duty, you must provide documentation (e.g., campaign document, award citation, etc.), that verifies entitlement to veterans preference and that your character of military service is honorable. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, in addition to the DD-214, you must submit documentation that supports your claim (e.g., an official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces certifying the existence of a service-connected disability; or receipt of a Purple Heart). If you fail to submit any of the required documentation, you will not be granted veterans preference. Additional information on veterans' preference can be found in the VetGuidehttp://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx.
• Required documents may be: 1)faxed to the Agency Contact (see "Contact Information") 2)uploaded directly from your desktop 3)uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments 4)hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see 'Contact Information').
• Auto-Requested Faxhttp://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/faxInstructions.html: allows you to submit required documentation that will be electronically displayed along with your resume.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Office of Human Resources
INTERIOR, Geological Survey
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive
Mail Stop 601
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
• If you are one of the most highly qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified via email of the outcome. You can also go to "My Account" within USAJOBS to review your Application Status.
Control Number: 401346800
Back to tophttps://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/TopofPage
Anastasia B. Quanbeck
U.S. Geological Survey - EROS
(Earth Resources Observation and Science)
Sioux Falls, SD 57198
Fax: (605) 594-2566
Raad A. Saleh, Ph.D.
US Geological Survey (USGS)
Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center
Mundt Federal Building
47914 252nd Street Sioux Falls, SD 57198
Voice 605-594-6819, Fax 605-594-6906
It is mere fallacy "The Sky is the Limit", for there are no limits for Man's passion to explore the unknown that lies beyond.